We got a great haul on Friday so dinner last night used a ton of different veggies, including a spaghetti squash which has been sitting on our counter for weeks (months?) which I had been avoiding cooking because I just don’t like spaghetti squash that much.
Buttered Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out and generously rubbed with oil
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup of parmesan
- a few sage leaves, chopped
- a pinch of nutmeg (freshly grated)
Roughly following this recipe from a Serious Eats thread, I roasted the spaghetti squash at 400 for 45 minutes, cut side down. Turn the squash over and cook for 15 more minutes, or until tender. While the squash is cooling a bit, melt a stick of butter in a small saucepan. Add the sage leaves and cook the butter until it starts to brown and smelly nutty. Combine everything in a large bowl.
Farro with Carrot and Fennel
Based on this recipe, I scaled it down for 2 people, and made some substitutions with ingredients I had on hand.
- 3/4 cup of farro, soaked for 30 minutes
- 3-4 small carrots, cut into matchsticks (or grated)
- half of a fennel bulb, cut into 1/4 inch die
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small clove of garlic, pulverized into a paste
- some capers
- some garlic chives (or any other green herb, like parsley)
- olive oil
Drain the farro and discard the soaking water. Combine with 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan. Bring to boil then cook for 15 minutes with the lid off. Meanwhile, combine fennel, garlic, capers, vinegar and a good pinch of salt and pepper in a serving bowl and let marinate. When the farro is done, drain and add to the fennel along with the carrots and herbs and a good dose of olive oil. Taste for S&P, or add more vinegar if you’d like.
Arugula Salad with Avocado and an Orange Vinaigrette
- Enough arugula for 2 people, washed
- 1 avocado, cut into large pieces
- Some orange juice
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- Some rice wine vinegar
- Olive oil
Combine the orange juice, rice wine vinegar, olive oil and shallot to taste. Add some S&P. Toss with arugula and avocado.